You can find entries on a specific topic if you'd like by clicking on the subject under TOPICS in the left column. There's all sorts of stuff- Lapbooking, Lesson Plans, Recipes, Projects, and More! If you're a homeschooling blogger or have a site geared towards homeschoolers and would like to trade links, let me know!

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A relaxed day of homeschooling.

Children can't help but learn. People often ask if I have to stand over my children and force feed them knowledge, but, the truth is, homeschooling, at this point, is pretty easy going.

This is what has happened so far today. First comes breakfast. While I prepare, my daughter traces the alphabet with her finger (on a mat which is on the kitchen table). I pour them a new kind of cereal, and they want to know exactly what is in it, how it is made, and who made it. This is a popular question at meal time. Then we count out grapes, and they tell ask where grapes grow. After breakfast, I begin cleaning up the dishes in the sink leftover from the previous night, and the children dig into their "math box" full of math manipulatives of all kinds. They sort out shapes and colors, build things with blocks, and count the dots on dominos. The baby tags along, going wherever his siblings go and trying to do whatever they do. Before I do some work online, I write out a few sentences on a piece of paper. My daughter traces them, writes them on her own, and then sounds out the words. After lunch, the baby goes down for a nap and all those awake insist on making Valentines for Nana and Poppa (even though Valentine's Day was a couple weeks ago). They get out the cool scissors, paper, and pens. My daughter asks how to spell Nana and Poppa. She accidently adds an additional P, so it looks more like Popppa. My four-year-old sorts and counts change while my oldest and youngest sit at the piano pounding away the keys. The baby has always had an interest in the piano ever since he could stand on his tippy-toes to reach the keys. I don't think we'll have to force him piano lessons when the time comes because, like my daughter, he enjoys making music. Seconds later, they've moved onto something else. My middle child pretends to cook "Dad a healthy lunch", my daughter pulls out a coloring book, and the baby uses the livingroom as a jungle gym. He climbs up and down the couch, over his sister, under the chairs, stands up on the math box and tumbles onto the couch (and then off of it once again) and... once dad walks in the door... he's up on his lap. Soon we'll have bible study and bible trivia.... and more fun spontaneous education. Plus, I know the children are ready to read a few more chapters in the book we're going through!

With three children under the age of five, there's no need for strict lessons. Some days are more structured, but most are not. We do sit down and do crafts and projects, but it's not a daily thing. Sometimes I'm really involved in everything, and other days, like today, the kids do a lot more on their own while I tend to the house, the laundry, and the baby.

What does your homeschool look like?

3 comments:

Heather said...

Sounds an awful lot like our early days--and it keeps going. When they ahve freedom when small their imaginations and love of learning don't swindle, they just grow in very specific directions.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

That is the kind of preschool I do. RELAXED!

I remember when I first started homeschooling. I was so worried I wasn't doing enough. I have changed in this area and I do this even with my ten, eight and five year old. They learn in life. If you look at life as a gigantic learning experience, they learn a ton! Thanks for posting this.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mandy!
I'm chistine from adewyspot. I stopped blogging for a while cuz i was really busy the past few months. But your blog is one i must visit to remind me of what is really important to me. Your blog has become like a mother's devotional to me. Thank you Mandy. You have no idea how much your sharing has blessed me as a struggling mommy who truly wants to glorify our Lord in the way i raise my kids. God bless you with a greater revelation of His Love through His Word and a greater anointing to express His Love to others through your words!