You can find entries on a specific topic if you'd like by clicking on the subject under TOPICS in the left column. There's all sorts of stuff- Lapbooking, Lesson Plans, Recipes, Projects, and More! If you're a homeschooling blogger or have a site geared towards homeschoolers and would like to trade links, let me know!

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Conjunction junction, what's your function?


Hearing that summons up memories of "back in the day" - when the main opportunity to see cartoons was on Saturday morning.. not 24 hours a day like it is now..that was the ONLY time you found us inside when we didn't have to be.. You might watch the Smurfs.. or late morning might have Johnny Quest... but occassionally a "video" from "School House Rock" would be thrown in. They were cute cartoons with a song, a toe tapping tune, and, unbeknownst to me, a lot of good educational tidbits..

Well it seems "School House Rock" is making a comeback. I had been hearing about them putting out a DVD.. and vaguely remember liking them.. so I thought it might be worth getting for the kids. I like them to see you can have fun with education. So I was lucky enough to find it at my local library (a gold mine of resources for us homeschoolers on a budget)...Which by the way - I totally recommend you go make friends with your local librarian - they can get you all sorts of books thru interlibrary loans and save you lots of money..

So anyway, we checked it out and started watching it... I couldn't believe how jam packed it was with info.. things about history, multiplication tables, parts of speech, biology.. etc.. and my kids LOVED it..my 8 yr old dd that is learning her multiplication tables right now kept turning around and smiling at me when the math "videos" would come on.. and my twin boys (nearly 3) were even singing the songs.. they may not understand what they are singing right now, but it will make sense later, and they will have a learning aid to help them - the songs.. I think it would be the perfect DVD to keep in the van, rather than a just a bunch of cartoons (althought we do have those too).. or to pull out when you are studing history, or multiplication tables, etc.. I must admit though - we will probably be purchasing a copy. I highly recommend it to add to your homeschool library.

So that's my input for this week.. by the way - Mandy has so graciously allowed me to come and write on her new blog, and I am so blessed to be able to do so.. we are a new homeschooling family (started as of May this year when I withdrew my dd out of Elementary school), and are those homeschoolers on a budget, so you will find in my entries a lot of inexpensive or free ideas.. you can see more about us (and mostly my artwork) on my blog http://mommasgoodies.blogspot.com/ , and here at The Precious Mind on Wednesdays.



Until next time - much love and God bless!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I used to LOVE School House Rock!