You can find entries on a specific topic if you'd like by clicking on the subject under TOPICS in the left column. There's all sorts of stuff- Lapbooking, Lesson Plans, Recipes, Projects, and More! If you're a homeschooling blogger or have a site geared towards homeschoolers and would like to trade links, let me know!

Saturday, December 13, 2008

'Tis the Season

by Mommy N

"Tis the Season to be Jolly....fa...la...la...la....la.la.la.la.

As my children get older, I'm enjoying Christmas even more than I did when I was a kid anticipating the arrival of unwrapped gifts brought by Santa around or on our Christmas tree. Although the memories I have about Christmas are strictly about me getting gifts, I'm finding that I enjoy Christmas more now that I get less than when I got more as a kid. I'm pretty sure it has more to do with the fact that I actually know and understand the true meaning of Christmas and I get to teach it to my kids.


My son asked me the other day when I was going to wrap his presents to put under the tree. It was at that moment, that I realized I needed to start teaching him NOW, that Christmas is SO much more than getting gifts. In truth, I find myself not wanting to buy my kids much. I want them to know the real meaning of Christmas. I want them to know the concept of JOY (Jesus, Others, and You.) How can I do that if all they are worried about is how many gifts they have under the tree? What they learn as a child, becomes a hard habit to break as they get older.

Last year, we started a Jesse Tree. This year, we incorporated an Advent Calendar to go along with the ornament and scripture of the day. We are reading Christmas books often and almost everyday we talk about Jesus' birthday.

Kids are going to feed off our excitement and joy of what is going on. Am I more excited about the gifts under our Christmas tree or the gift that God wrapped and gave to us 2008 years ago on Christmas day?

Christmas is a perfect season to teach kids about character, love, and the spirit of giving to others.

No comments: